Daniel Elliot Shive is the creator, author and artist of El Goonish Shive. From what can be inferred from this illustration on his deviantART account, Dan attended the College of DuPage since it matches the floor plan of the college's Arts Center seen here. Given the date of the illustration, he attended the school for at least the 2007-2008 academic year.
EGS publication historyEdit
EGS's first comic hit the web on January 21, 2002. Installments to the comic (story and/or filler) were added daily, except for a few months that were erratic but usually had three story comics a week.
The official forum in this era was hosted on Webcomic.net, the forum for TopWebComics (TWC). A second official forum was hosted on SuddenLaunch, due to TWC downtime. Only the latter is still online.
Dan joined Keenspot in September 2003. The contemporary official forum was hosted under Keenspot.
Dan moved to 910CMX on February 2, 2009. The official forum is hosted under 910CMX.
Dan moved again to Hiveworks in the year 2013. The 910CMX forum remains official, although Dan no longer frequents it.
Dan has changed art styles throughout the existence of the comic, however he currently uses a style involving both sketching and computer editing. Usually these transitions are marked with delays in updates due to Dan spending more time figuring out the new system and experimenting with it. The comics also started grayscale, but changed to full color and back three times, being in grayscale now.
Color changes Edit
- EGS Main Story Comic for 2002-02-10 occasional color comics
- EGS Main Story Comic for 2002-08-12 ("Random Occurrence") all comics in color
- EGS Main Story Comic for 2002-12-16 ("Relief? Disappointment? Hope That It'll Happen Again?") back to grayscale
- EGS Main Story Comic for 2003-03-13 ("El Goonish Shive Presents: Lady Mysterious") occasionally color
- EGS Main Story Comic for 2007-12-17 ("Off to a Smooth Academic Start") all comics in color
- EGS Main Story Comic for 2009-01-13 ("Rebellious Hooligan Susan") back to grayscale
- EGS Main Story Comic for 2014-10-03 back to full color
- EGS Main Story Comic for 2015-03-02 back to grayscale
Note that while sketchbook contains not only color and grayscale images, but also true sketches, color images are more common than in normal comics ; whole year 2002 is color, almost all images since EGS Sketchbook Comic for 2013-11-09 are color and selected panels from grayscale comics often feature colored in sketchbook. This contrasts with NewsPaper section, which is so far completely grayscale.
Other style changes Edit
- EGS Sketchbook Comic for 2012-06-17 smaller eyes
- EGS Sketchbook Comic for 2013-09-14 visible irises
- EGS Sketchbook Comic for 2014-02-08 ("Eye Science! (with eyes)") smaller eyes again
Interaction with fansEdit
EGS online forumEdit
Historically, Dan frequented the official EGS forum and commented or responded to the goings on, operating as a moderator or administrator.
He left because the forum had become a less than civil place, with negative attitude being encouraged by the community, which uncivility has since been resolved, largely by means of substantial moderation work by The Old Hack, who has stated "I do not for a moment blame him for having no particular desire to come back" and "It's a good deal better now, but I still don't blame Dan for staying away."
Dan is on Patreon.
Comic-Con and other appearancesEdit
At San Diego Comic-Con 2006, Dan knighted Lord Killerfish and seven others into the Order of the Bunny.
Dan exclusively reads book series starring wizards named Harry. Specifically, Harry Potter and Harry Dresden (Dresden files). He also read Hobbit but didn't make it through Lord of The Rings, and considered reading Discworld.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Dan Shive on Goodreads
- ↑ EGS Sketchbook Comic for 2003-09-07 ("Moving to Keenspot Party")
- ↑ EGS Sketchbook Comic for 2009-02-03
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Post on original 910CMX Forum, global post ID #556769
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Post on new 910CMX Forum, global post ID #3902
- ↑ Post on new 910CMX Forum, global post ID #6487
- ↑ Post on original 910CMX Forum, global post ID #579317
- ↑ Post on original 910CMX Forum, global post ID #583312
- ↑ Post on new 910CMX Forum, global post ID #6520
- ↑ Post on original 910CMX Forum, global post ID #579401
- ↑ Post on new 910CMX Forum, global post ID #3949
- ↑ danshive tumblr post ID 154209199082 ("egscomics-the-forums-are-not-currently")
- ↑ Post on new 910CMX Forum, global post ID #20109
- ↑ http://www.egscomics.com/extras.php
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/elgoonishshive/about/moderators
- ↑ https://www.patreon.com/egscomics
- ↑ EGS Sketchbook Comic for 2006-11-03 ("Shameless Promotion")
- ↑ http://www.deviantart.com/art/Dan-Shive-37411502
- ↑ https://player.fm/series/keencast/keencast-2-dan-shive-el-goonish-shive-guest-co-host-ryan-smith-funny-farm
- ↑ EGS Main Story Comic for 2016-06-20