The characters of EGS inhabit several universes; most canon universes contain separate characters who can interact with each other, while most non-canon universes contain different versions of the same characters and do not interact with other universes (with the exception of the conclusion of the Blank Check for Weirdness arc). It is also common for the characters in non-canon universes to break the fourth wall. Characters with multiversal counterparts who share exactly the same name have their universe's name preceding their own to differentiate them.
Each universe is supposed to have at least two sides, although main universe is only one with any known characters so far. Other sides of other universes didn't have any interaction we would see on-panel. See multiple sides of universe.
The Alpha universe is the universe of Lord Tedd and his followers, most notably Nioi. In this dimension, the original Grace Sciuridae did not die and Dr. Sciuridae did die, so the original design for Shade Tail was carried out, resulting in the creation of General Shade Tail; this may mean that their Damien was killed when he attacked, assuming he was as weak as the main universe's Damien.
General Shade Tail
Alpha Dr. Sciuridae (deceased)
This universe has Beta Tedd and Beta Ellen, the latter of whom is female alternate of Elliot, since Ellen does not exist as a separate person in this universe. This universe has the ability to contact other universes, and is trying to not be destroyed by Alpha Tedd.
The Main Universe of EGS is the universe most prominently featured in the story comics. The majority of the characters live in this dimension. It is highly similar to earth, obviously excepting the sci-fi/fantasy elements added by Dan. The fourth wall is never broken with the exception of the Introduction storyline. It is the universe that contains most of the story comics, and is where the main characters reside.
All main characters
All named supporting and minor characters not stated to live in another universe.
Main Universe's other half Edit
Every universe is supposed to have at least two sides, but Main universe is only one with known characters from it. See other half of Main Universe.
This is the universe Magus is originally from. Not much is known about this universe other than the fact that it contains Terra and it might contain a magic school (this theory is based on the clothing of Magus and Terra). Notably, Magus and Terra are this universe's versions of Elliot and Tedd, respectively.
Second Life UniverseEdit
This is the universe Ellen experienced when she had her Second Life dreams caused by "nose-beep" from Nioi. It is similar to the main universe except it involved Ellen being born and growing up naturally, and had uryuoms and seyunolus openly accepted as part of the culture, at least since the American Revolutionary War. It is known to contain an alternate Tedd (who is shorter as a young child and taller as a teenager than the main universe Tedd), as well as an alternate of Nioi's duplicate, Kaoli. In addition, it appears to contain an alternate Tony (based on the "#1" shirt and the hairstyle). It is uncertain if this is a real universe or only exists in Ellen and Kaoli's soul-aging dreams.
Second Life Ellen
Second Life Tedd
Second Life Kaoli
Second Life Tony
This universe was created during the Blank Check for Weirdness arc and contains its characters. In it, Tess, Dark Sarah, and Elliot were going to solve a ghost haunting in the library, only for Tiffany to solve it before they could. At the end of the arc, Dan made their universe permanent because the fans expressed adoration of Tiffany and Dark Sarah. (Although, so far there wasn't another story from it ...)
Dan's Universe contains Dan in several forms, as well as his helper, Minion. Characters from any of the other universes can enter Dan's universe, and they recognize him as the creator of their comic. It is suggested that this is the universe that the staff of Germahn Labs live and work in (and produce Q&A sessions), as well as being the setting for the intros to the guest comics and the setting of the April Fools Weeks.
II slooF lirpA UniverseEdit
A dimension where the events of the EGS Main Story Comic for 2003-03-18 ("Grace's Claire Form Revealed") played out in a universe where the Theater Clerk replaced Grace and Brownie could talk in the bottom panels. In this dimension, Ellen is attracted to his "Claire" form. It is later mentioned that in Dan's personal universe, he does not draw El Goonish Shive, but merely records the things that happen in the Main Universe using a camera which was accidentally pointed at the dimension seen in the first II slooF lirpA strip.
II slooF lirpA Theater Clerk
II slooF lirpA Ellen
- ↑ EGS Main Story Comic for 2016-03-18
- ↑ EGS Main Story Comic for 2002-12-12 ("Death Of Goo, Cold Face Of Lord Tedd")
- ↑ EGS Main Story Comic for 2004-05-17 ("End Of Part VII")
- ↑ EGS Main Story Comic for 2003-01-06 ("Grace The Ghost")
- ↑ EGS Main Story Comic for 2002-07-22 ("Unusagi and Travis Ride Again")
- ↑ EGS Main Story Comic for 2002-07-24 ("Obviously A Different Tedd")
- ↑ EGS Main Story Comic for 2007-01-01 ("The Fateful Duel, Part 1")
- ↑ EGS Main Story Comic for 2017-11-20
- ↑ EGS Main Story Comic for 2006-05-03 ("Tedd Doesn't Bake Cookies For Just Anyone!")
- ↑ EGS Main Story Comic for 2004-09-03 ("First Day Of School")
- ↑ EGS Main Story Comic for 2008-01-15 ("This Was Inevitable, Really")
- ↑ EGS Main Story Comic for 2006-08-25 ("Little Drummer Hybrid Boy")
- ↑ EGS Main Story Comic for 2004-09-13 ("Second Life:Friends, Games, And The Child Who Sat Alone")
- ↑ EGS:NP Comic for 2004-04-03 ("Blank Check For Weirdness - Part III")
- ↑ EGS:NP Comic for 2004-04-08 ("Blank Check For Weirdness - Part V")
- ↑ EGS Sketchbook Comic for 2004-04-25 ("Sarah & Dark Sarah")
- ↑ EGS Sketchbook Comic for 2004-04-04 ("Susan & Tiffany")
- ↑ EGS Sketchbook Comic for 2004-04-11 ("Tedd & Tess")
- ↑ EGS Main Story Comic for 2003-04-01 ("What Brownie Said")